Barclays analyst Blayne Curtis and his associates have laid out their expectations for the 2019 and 2020 iPhones after meeting with some suppliers within Apple's supply chain.
According to their research note (from summary provided by MacRumors):
- The 2019 iPhone models will feature very minimal design changes. The most significant change will be the new rear camera design. Production is set to begin in July/August.
- 3D Touch will be eliminated from the new iPhone models. All models are likely to feature Haptic Touch instead.
- The new 6.1-inch iPhone will feature 4GB of RAM, up from 3GB on the iPhone XR.
- The 2020 iPhone models will feature 5G support, 3D sensing on rear cameras, and new acoustic fingerprint technology that could allow for full-screen Touch ID.
- Potential new iPhone SE with iPhone 8 internals; early 2020 launch.
- LG may join Samsung as a secondary supplier of OLED displays.
Apple is expected to launch new iPhone models in September at the Steve Jobs Theater.